Wednesday 9 May 2007

driving over lemons

This is the second book I've read with an endorsement from Peter Gabriel on the cover, and the second that I've enjoyed. I never thought I'd say that.

Heidi lent me this one, and said that her family had read it on holiday and had all enjoyed it. I'm not surprised, partly because it's quite good, but mostly because it's a good holiday book. It won't make my all time top ten, but it's interesting and funny and easy to read; not so compelling that you'll wish you were reading when you're swimming, but it's not depressing either.

It's a non-fiction (again! What is the world coming to!) account of a man who relocates his family to Andalicia in Spain. It charts his first visit to the area, his purchase of a property, and the way he develops this land to make a home for his wife and baby daughter. He talks a lot about the people he meets and makes friends with (both locals and foreigners), and you also get a lot of description about the landscape, animals, farming methods etc.

I think this would be a great book to have lying around when you're on holiday - especially a sunny holiday. I enjoyed it on a wintery autumn weekend, but it didn't blow my mind. But I did read it in less than a week, which tells you something at least about how pleasant and easy a read it is.

Also, I think there might be a couple of sequels, so if you read it and like it, you can continue the story, which is always nice.

No comments: