Tuesday 21 August 2007

in love with the jelly, in love with the jam.

Apparently, this is the best apricot jam in the world, or so the internet says.

What was I to do but try some? Unfortunatly it cost an arm and a leg to have it shipped from America, but for the best jam in the world, splashing out once is ok, right?

After ordering it though, I started having second thoughts. It's been hyped up, it can't possibly be that good, it's too expensive, it'll arrive and I'll be disappointed...

Well baby, I'm not. It arrived on Friday and I made scones to test the jam on, and guess what? It IS all it's cracked up to be. These were the best cotton-pickin' jam and cream scones I've ever tasted.

And better still, the nice boys at We Love Jam sent me an extra jar for free, for having enough faith to order a jar all the way across the Pacific, so there's still a little left.

We Love Jam? I love jam too.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Em! Your scones look delicious! I'm very pleased for you that the jam was all it was cracked up to be :o) There's nothing better than finding out the international postage was worth it :o)
Meanwhile, I ordered something for Dave that is taking and age to get here and I'm starting to get a bit worried... hmm...

Hannah said...

Based on the website comments, this jam sounds like it could be a religious experience. Looks like I'd better start saving...

Nic said...

Wow, I dont know, if I were you I would not want to like it because now you love a jam that is really far away and expensive to get.

m∃ said...

Yeah, religious experience, maybe? I was thinking of it like the Platonic perfect form of apricot jam...

Tom tried some on the weekend and he agreed so it's not just me overreacting. It is a bit of a shame that I can never have it again (probably), but I still would rather have tasted it than not. This way I can spend my life trying to replicate it! Ha.

Actually, it's made from a special kind of apricot (the Blenheim), and I got all excited about growing one in the backyard, but you can't get them here, and according to Dad Australian quarantine is nutso expensive, and they'll probably kill it anyway. So there goes that.

But there's still a smidge left to savour! =)

a4annie said...

Emily, I'm in the USA right now, so the postage shouldn't be so bad. The website says that it's US$20 for a 16oz jar. That still does seem bloody expensive. I can't imagine it being worth it, since I just love all apricot jam, and my mum makes pretty nice jam from the backyard apricots. So, is it truly worth it?

m∃ said...

Well, yes, I thought so! I did a taste test against that nice Douglasdale stuff just to prove to myself I wasn't going mad - it was like chalk and cheese.

They sell little jars for $8, so you could just get one of those if you're nervous. It's still pricey enough to fall into the 'treat' category though. You'd need a postal address, and I'm not sure they haven't sold out for the year. Still, it's worth a shot!

a4annie said...

ok. so I bought it. At US$28 it had better be worth it! I'm justifying it on the grounds that my boss is paying for my food for the month!